So, you’ve joined your respective law schools and the journey to an experience of lifetime has just begun. I am sure you’ve read hundreds of article on ‘How to ace Law Schools’ because you are super excited about everything that is lined up for you.
So, here we are, ready to test your passion for law. Find out if you are aware of all the following facts related to your field or not…
- Did you know that the Calcutta High Court is the oldest High Court in our country. It was established on 2 July, 1862 and the design of its building is based on the Cloth Hall of Ypres in Belgium.
- Allahabad High court is the biggest court not just in India but in whole of Asia. It has the highest number of serving judges and lawyers under its jurisdiction.
- Fests are the most attractive part of college for students. INVICTA by NUJS, Kolkata and Strawberry Fields, an annual rock show hosted by NLS Bangalore are some of the most popular fests. They also organize a sports fest called ‘Spiritus’ which is specifically for law schools participation only. Take your troop and participate in these fests.
- Sir Harilal Jekisundas Kania was the first Chief Justice of independent India. He served the office from 26 January 1950 to 6 November 1951. He died during his term due to sudden heart attack at the age of 61.
- The first female judge to be appointed to the Supreme Court of India was M. Fathima Beevi in 1989.
- Supreme Court of India was established on January 28, 1950. It is designed in an Indo- British architectural style by chief architect Ganesh Bhikaji Deolalikar.
- Are you aware of the most popular moots?
NLS International Arbitration, MM Singhvi moot, Henry Dunant Human Rights Moot are some of the prestigious national level moot. At international level you have Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition, Stetson International Environmental Moot Court Competition, Price Media Law Moot Court Competition, Nelson Mandela World Human Rights Moot Court Competition. If you are an avid mooter or plan to be one, aim for these moots in your CV.
- If you haven’t watched prominent movies like ‘12 Angry Men’ and ‘The Paper Chase’; and extremely popular TV series such as ‘Suits’ and ‘Better Call Saul’, you must do it right now. ‘To kill a mocking bird’ is another celebrated book which also has a movie on it. You can also keep a collection of John Grisham books. Keep these in your law school checklist.
- If you are not a part of any committee or club in your college, become one now! It gives you multiple chances to host, manage and co-ordinate events at wider levels. This eventually helps in building up leadership qualities and advocacy skills.
- If you do not have Incourt in your phone, download it immediately. Also, if you haven’t downloaded Incourt in your phone you are not a true law student.
It is a News application that keeps you updated with all the legal happenings around the country. The best part about this application is that you do not have to read the lengthy news articles; they bring to you a crux of the entire news in 60 words.
So, how many facts did you get right? Law school will have numerous things to offer you, stay awake and active and grab onto every opportunity that comes your way.